Svartliden Gold Mine

Overview

The Svartliden Gold Mine (“Svartliden”) is located in northern Sweden, 700km north of Stockholm and west of the world class Skellefte Mining District.

The Svartliden deposit represents an orogenic gold deposit hosted within a Palaeoproterozoic volcano-sedimentary sequence that has been metamorphosed to an amphibolite facies metamorphic grade.  Gold mineralization is hosted by a banded iron formation on the contact between the sediments and meta-basalts and is closely associated with a sulphide assemblage dominated by pyrrhotite and arsenopyrite.  The entire host sequence is strongly deformed, initially subjected to tight folding followed by dextral shearing.  Both of these events occurred after the mineralising event and have disrupted continuity of the host units. 

The mineralisation at Svartliden represented a new style of mineralisation for the broader district, in an area not previously recognised for its gold potential due to a poor appreciation of the prospectivity of the geology.

Mining commenced at Svartliden in 2004, representing the first integrated mine and treatment plant to be developed under the new Swedish Environment and Mining Acts. All mining was completed by late 2013.  

History

The first indication of gold mineralisation in the Svartliden area were obtained from boulder sampling in the 1980’s.  The Svartliden deposit was discovered in the 1990’s and the first drilling was carried out in 1995 by Lappland Guld & Prospecting, then Viking Gold Corporation in 1997. Dragon Mining acquired an initial 60% interest in the project in 2000, increasing this to 80% on completion of a Bankable Feasibility Study and subsequently acquiring the remaining 20% in 2011.  

Production

The mine commenced as an open pit operation in 2004, underground operations commencing in 2011.  Open-pit and underground mining were carried out in tandem until the completion of open-pit mining in April 2013.  Underground mining was completed by the end of 2013.

Dragon Mining milled 3.18 Mt of ore grading 4.05 g/t gold from the Svartliden Gold Mine since mining commenced.

Svartliden Gold Mine

Resources and Reserves

No Ore Reserves remain at the Svartliden Gold Mine

The Measured, Indicated and Inferred Mineral Resources for the Svartliden Gold Mine as at 1 September 2015  total 3383,000 tonnes @ 4.1 g/t gold (51,300 ounces).  This Mineral Resource is reported at a 1.3 g/t gold cut-off grade for open-pit type material and 3 g/t gold for underground type material.  The remaining zones of in-situ mineralisation comprise well defined zones of gold mineralisation adjacent to and beneath the Svartliden open-pit.  The deposit has been closed off by drilling at depth and along strike and there is little scope for additional Mineral Resources to be defined from further drilling in the immediate mine area.

For further information on the Mineral Resources for the Svartliden Gold Mine refer to the Reserves and Resources page.

Environment

In late 2012, a positive court ruling in respect of the new Environmental Permit application was received. This permit allowed unrestricted underground mining and set more realistic discharge conditions. The new discharge limits are amongst the lowest of any mining operation in the Nordic Region. The new permit is of great strategic value for the Svartliden operation, and the positive ruling demonstrates the operations ability to successfully consult with permitting authorities and stakeholders.

Exploration

The company holds 100% interest in the Svartliden Gold Mine and manages in addition to the Exploitation Concession encompassing the mine, 455.39 hectares of exploration tenure.

In 2006 Dragon Mining has implemented an exploration strategy to identify additional resources proximal to the Svartliden Plant. This resulted in the delineation of the underground resource at Svartliden and the identification of gold mineralisation in the near mine area at the Far East, Svartliden West and Björkliden prospects.

No exploration has been carried out at Svartliden since 2013.

Copyright © 2015 Dragon Mining, all rights reserved   |   » Sitemap   |   » Cookies